Smart Public Transportation
Modern cities and businesses are facing enormous challenges, such as tighter budgets and increasing environmental pollution. But technological developments and, more specifically, Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and the Internet of Things (IoT) gives new capabilities that enhance sustainability and help us more efficiently manage the resources needed to improve the urban environment. This is being achieved through the participation of citizens, municipal authorities and local businesses in the daily life of the city.
COSMOTE is facilitating this transition to new Smart Cities through innovative technologies and solutions. These solutions are applicable to various aspects of city life and are offered through a ‘smart’ services platform and an integrated networking infrastructure. Smart Public Transportation is one of these solutions.
Optimizing transportation by making them more reliable and sustainable for the city and its citizens.
Improving the overall experience in the use of public transport through the use of smart technologies for real-time data analysis.
- Public transport planning support: Optimize resource allocation and use a graphical imaging system to improve routing.
- Improved vehicle maintenance: Collect data from vehicles and generate statistics on operating conditions and fuel levels, for improving maintenance activities.
- Improve traffic management: Monitor vehicle location, support routing changes and record delays.
- Traffic light management: Communicating with traffic lights and adapting them, providing a green path for public transport.
- Ticket sale: Selling tickets on board, at points of sale, via the internet, through mobile applications, as well as from vending machines at stops.
- Provide Passenger Information: Distribution of information on displays and monitors, through the system, the Internet, mobile phone applications and SMS-based systems.
- Passenger Counting: Real-time measurement of the number of passengers using each vehicle.